Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Do I have to report ssdi if I earned less than 10k from my…

Do I have to report...
Do I have to report ssdi if I earned less than 10k from my job or can I just omit it from my return altogether?
3/22/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. …. My name’s Lane,

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

You don't report ... There's a specific formula for determining whether some of your Social Security (SSDI OR Retirement) might be taxable.

...

No one pays federal income tax on more than 85 percent of his or her Social Security benefits based on Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules. If you:

• file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your combined income * is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

• file a joint return, and you and your spouse have a combined income * that is
    • between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
    • more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

• are married and file a separate tax return, you probably will pay taxes on your benefits.

...

Your adjusted gross income
+ Nontaxable interest
+ ½ of your Social Security benefits
= Your " combined income "

SO at 10,000 you're not even close. No taxation of SSDI here.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
okay so as as long as i'm under $25k I don't have to put this anywhere on my tax return? that's what i meant by report, sorry

That's right ... and it's actually whether 1/2 of the Social Security plus other income (called Combined income ... hate that phrase becasue it sounds like you count ALL income) is = to 25K for a single filer.

...

Thanks so much for the rating,

Lane