Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son has income less than standard deduction, but it shows…

Customer Question
My son has income...

My son has income less than standard deduction, but it shows he owes taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

His income is 5791; standard deduction is 6141

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Why does he owe $124? nothing more

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Are you claiming him as a dependent?

Or is it self employment income that he rec'd?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is a dependent. 1200 is self employment
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
are you still there?

Both are reasons why he owes.

1) You are claiming him as a dependent so he does not get the personal exemption for himself

2) The self employment income is subject to self employment tax. Look at the Form 1040 for him, Line 57, is there an amount showing on that line? if so, that is how much he is paying in self employment tax on the $1,200 self employment income. Self employment tax is different from income tax. SEE BELOW;

Self-employment tax is a tax consisting of Social Security and Medicare taxes primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.

You figure self-employment tax (SE tax) yourself using Schedule SE (Form 1040). Social Security and Medicare taxes of most wage earners are figured by their employers. Also you can deduct the employer-equivalent portion of your SE tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. Wage earners cannot deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes.

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he does have to file a return because of the self-employment income?

Yes, because he earned more than $400 in self employment income. However, you can still claim him as a dependent. He just has to make sure to check the box that someone else can claim him as a dependent when he files his return.

You have to file an income tax return if your net earnings from self-employment were $400 or more. If your net earnings from self-employment were less than $400, you still have to file an income tax return if you meet any other filing requirement listed in the Form 1040 instructions (PDF).

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employed-individuals-tax-center#Obligations

Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you today. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant