Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I sold some stock today for a profit of $46,890. I live in…

I sold some stock...

I sold some stock today for a profit of $46,890. I live in the state of Ohio. What percentage of Federal/State tax do I pay in 2019.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I sold some stock today for a profit of $46,890.00 I live in the state of Ohio. What percentage of Federal/State tax do I pay in 2019?

3/21/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

---------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

The percentage that you will pay depends on whether the stock was held short term (year or less) of long term (longer than a year). If short term, the gain is taxed at your ordinary tax rate. If long term, the percentage will be 15 or 20%. Keep in mind that tax is only paid on the gain amount, which is the amount above your cost basis. In order to determine the gain amount, you start with the cost basis of the stock. If you sold for more than the cost basis, you incurred a gain. If you sold for less than the cost basis, you incurred a loss. Just because you walk away with money, does not meet that all of it is a gain. You can read more on capital gains at the following link.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

-----------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant