Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a federal amendment that says you are exempt from…

Customer Question
Is there a federal...

Is there a federal amendment that says you are exempt from sales tax when purchasing a new truck with ICC authority ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

If I purchase a truck and I have ICC authority, do I have to pay sales tax when I register the truck?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Ive registered three new trucks in the state of Rhode Island and I've never paid sales tax because of a federal regulation. Now I'm going to register a used truck in CT. and I want to know if there is a federal regulation that makes me exempt from the sales tax.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/22/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

There is a CT regulation. As described in Conn. Gen. Stat. §12-412(70), the purchase of this motor vehicle is exempt from sales and use taxes if the motor vehicle is a commercial truck, truck tractor, tractor or semitrailer, or vehicle used in combination with these, which will be operated actively and exclusively during the one-year period following the purchase date of such vehicle for the interstate carriage of freight under a certificate or permit issued by the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) or its successor agency to the purchaser.

Here is the form you will need

http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/forms/2005forms/certificates/cert-105.pdf

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4