Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an unusual situation on taxes, I’m 60 years old I…

I have an unusual...

I have an unusual situation on taxes , I’m 60 years old I have lived with someone for 25 years she worked I stayed home I did not have an income she did not want me to work she supported me and claimed me on her taxes , then she passed away I then was asked to help take care of an elderly parent full time no pay until my mothers death in 2016 , the last year plus I have been living on the little my mother left me , i had no income in 2017 do I now have to file a tax return or when I start working again full time do I wait till next year to file a tax return , since I have not worked for a company or self employed in 30 years plus do I owe any money to the IRS thank you

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing else I know of at this time

3/21/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you have no income, you do not have to file a tax return.

Once you start working either at a job or at self-employment, you will the file a return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

We were not married but lived together for 25 years she claimed me on her yearly taxes since I was on her tax filings every year does that count for when I reach 67 or 70 to start collecting S.S. Or will have to start from beginning and pay taxes say for the next 7-10 years to boost a monthly SS Check which won’t be much , thanks

If she claimed you as a dependent and you did not work, you don't have an earnings record for SS payments.

Usually, to receive any SS benefit payments, you must work at least 10 years and have accumulated 40 credits.

I hit the wrong button only had a follow up question not a new topic sorry , we were not married but lived together for 25 years she claimed me on her yearly taxes , since I was on her tax filings every year does that count for SS when I reach 67-70 or do I have to start from begging and pay taxes for the next 7-10 to boost my SS monthly check which won’t be much

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent