Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was in a financial bind and failed to report employee

Customer Question
I was in a...

I was in a financial bind and failed to report employee withholdings for all of 2017. I recently reported the year through my payroll service and my current outstanding balance in $21,000. I don't have the money but I am in the process of securing some funds that would allow me to make a partial payment. Where does this leave me and what are best next steps?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

This would include employee tax and payroll tax.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Standing by
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Your next best steps are to pay as much as you can and request a payment plan from the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Will this resolve the near term pressure and possibilities of prosecution?
Let's stay on chat for now, however, is this something that you can service? If so can I contact you directly next week once I have some resources? Also, can help me with Small Business Chapter 7 bankruptcy?

The offer of a phone call is system generated. You can ignore it.

Definitely.

Non-payment of payroll taxes is a "hot button" for the IRS.

It is always best to be proactive with the IRS rather than waiting for them to initiate action.

I would contact the IRS and tell them that you will be paying a certain amount by whatever day you will receive the funds and request a payment plan.

I am not an attorney so I cannot assist you with bankruptcy.

Thanks you for your time

My pleasure.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please take a moment to rate my answer with a 5-star rating to let me know that I have achieved my goal.

I will do that

Thank you.