Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am treasurer for a Rotary Club that will give away a

I am treasurer for...

I am treasurer for a Rotary Club that will give away a $25,000 raffle prize, $25 ticket cost. What is CA tax withholding rate? What if the winner resides outside CA?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Is reporting similar to IRS on form W2-G?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

The Rotary Club is located in CA

3/21/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

---------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. Simply decline if not interest.

Still typing...

The CA rate is going to depend on the winner's overall income. The tax rate ranges between 1-9.3%. Federal withholding is 25%. Yes, the reporting is the same as the Form W2-G.

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

My apologies, the top tax rate is 12.3%, not 9.3%.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-taxes-california.aspx

How am I to determine the tax rate for CA? Seems to me the required withholding would be a fixed percentage, like 7%. Also , is the prize taxable to a non resident winner?

A non-resident is taxed on CA sourced income only, which would make the raffle winnings taxable to a non resident. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------

How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents

• California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
  • Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.
  • Part-year residents of California - Taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/fileRtn/Nonresidents-Part-Year-Residents.shtml

I will check to see if I can find a flat rate for the CA withholding and get back to you shortly.

Based on the following information, the winnings will not be taxable in the state of CA. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------

Additionally, California, Delaware, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania don’t tax winnings on sweepstakes or other gambling. As this is the case, whether the person is a resident or non-resident, they will not be taxed by CA

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://finance.zacks.com/much-state-federal-tax-owed-sweepstakes-winnings-6171.html

I don't think that is correct. CA taxes everything. I thought I read that CA treats raffle winnings as gambling winnings and taxes winnings over $7,000

I can check a bit further to see what I come up and get back to you shortly.

Following is what the IRS defines a raffle as:

“Raffle” Defined: In general, a raffle is considered a form of lottery. As such, a raffle generally refers to a method for the distribution of prizes among persons who have paid for a chance to win such prizes, usually determined by the numbers, or symbols, on tickets drawn.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/notice_1340.pdf

-------------------------------

As a raffle is defined as a form of lottery, there is no mandatory withholding requirement. California is one of just three states that exempt lottery winnings from state income taxes – so long as the winner is a state resident who bought the ticket in California.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/article54540405.html

Based on the above, a resident of California does not have to pay taxes on the winnings, however, there is a withholding requirement for non-residents because they will have to pay tax on the winnings. SEE BELOW:

--------------------------------

Payer withholds 7 percent of all California source payments to a nonresident payee that exceed $1,500 in a calendar year, unless payee meets a withholding exemption or qualifies for reduced or waived withholding.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/wsc/withholding.shtml

Is your response on taxation of CA state lottery based upon the state sponsored lottery? That is exempt from state tax for a CA resident. But I can't believe non profit raffles are exempt. I will check another source and get back to you.

Feel free to do that. I have checked several sources and I am coming up with the same answer.

More food for thought:

--------------------------------

The bad news was that the definition of “lottery” includes a raffle or drawing of any sort in which there are (a) a prize, cash or non-cash, (b) an element of chance, and (c) a required payment to purchase a chance.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.e-district.org/userfiles/129/file/rules_on_raffles.pdf

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
I called the CA Franchise Tax Board, Exempt Organization Unit and they replied that the only non taxable lottery winnings is the CA sponsored state lottery. All other lottery winnings ( non- profit organizations) are considered gambling and taxable to residents and non-residents. No withholding tax is required for a state resident winner. Non-resident winner is subject to withholding. The winner's prize is reported on form W-2G to IRS and CA gets a copy from IRS.

Ok.