Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Taxpayer daughter turn 24 in 2017. Can taxpayer still claim…

Taxpayer daughter turn 24 in...
Taxpayer daughter turn 24 in 2017. Can taxpayer still claim her on his tax return as dependent. Daughter is full time at school and make $8400 during 2017
3/21/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

--------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Based on the following information, the taxpayer may not be able to claim the daughter as a qualifying child, but might be

Sorry, wasn't done typing...

If all the qualifications are met, the taxpayer may be able to claim the daughter as a qualifying relative. SEE BELOW for qualifications.

--------------------------

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your Qualifying Relative.

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,050 in gross income during 2017.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year.

-----------------------------------------

Qualifying Child:

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

š Relationship – the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.

š Residence – has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

š Age – must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

š Support – did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She turn 24 in Oct 2017, will that cause her disqualify? She went to school for more than 5 months

In order to claimed as a Qualifying child she would have had to be under the age of 24 by the end of the year. As I wrote, if the qualifications are met, she can still be claimed as a qualifying relative. There is not an age limit for qualifying relatives.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank you

You are very welcome. Thank you for the 5 star rating. I do appreciate it.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant