Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband died on March 17, 2018. He died while on SS

My husband died on...

My husband died on March 17, 2018. He died while on SS Disability, with no life insurance or assets. Do I need to file his taxes for 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I don’t know what would be important. He was hospitalized for four months before passing. My SSDI 1099 said I do. Ot need to file taxes for myself, but we usually filed jointly.

3/21/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Thanks

In general, the final individual income tax return of a decedent is prepared and filed in the same manner as when they were alive. All income up to the date of death must be reported and all credits and deductions to which the decedent is entitled may be claimed.

You may file a joint return with your deceased spouse for 2017 even though he passed away in the year.

Write the word "Deceased," the decedent's name, and the date of death across the top of the final individual tax return. If filing a joint return, write the name and address of the decedent and the surviving spouse in the name and address fields.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

My AS disability 1099 says I am not required to file a return
For myself.

If you had no income and your spouse had no income then you are not required to file for you or him (joint or otherwise).

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4