Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Thank you... I have independent contractors work for me and…

Customer Question
Hi and thank you.....

Hi and thank you... I have independent contractors work for me and I reported via 1099 forms the exact amount they earned for the year. Question: final invoices for Dec 2017 were not paid until January 2018 though I still included it in the 2017 total earnings.... was that correct?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

----------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. Simply decline if you are not interested.

Still typing...

When you record the earnings depends on if you use the cash basis or accrual basis of accounting. If you use the cash basis method, you would record income and expenses when earned or incurred. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------

Cash basis. Revenue is recorded when cash is received from customers, and expenses are recorded when cash is paid to suppliers and employees.Accrual basis. Revenue is recorded when earned and expenses are recorded when consumed.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/cash-basis-vs-accrual-basis-accounting.html

------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I did my 1099's correctly based on my method?
this exchange was $41?
no stars yet

If you use the cash basis method, yes, you did it correctly.

I don;t know what you are being billed, but based on the value of the question to me, it appears that $41 is correct.

Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you today. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.