Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Does the surviving spouse have to report multiple 1099c

Customer Question
Does the surviving spouse...

Does the surviving spouse have to report multiple 1099c forms in the name of the deceased spouse if they are filing MFJ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Taxpayer is filing his return....his spouse died in September of 2017. In January multiple 1099c forms were received with the name of the deceased spouse showing student loan debt cancelled

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Have filed "Injured Spouse" form in the past....necessary this year......thinking of filing MFS without including the 1099c's

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 4 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

------------------------------

Not that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

waiting....
no thanks

My apologies, I have to leave the computer now, sorry. I am going to release the question back into the question queue so that someone else can assist.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If the surviving spouse is filing a joint tax return with the deceased - ONLY income the deceased received BEFORE the death is reported on that tax return.

If debt reported on forms 1099C was cancelled BEFORE the death - these amounts are included into tax return.

If however - debts were cancelled AFTER the death - these are not included.

Any income received after the death will be reported on the estate's income tax return - form 1041.

Let me know if you need any help.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.