Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I got divorced this year, and I was ordered to pay alimony…

I got divorced this...

I got divorced this year, and I was ordered to pay alimony in addition to paying off our three jointly held credit cards, and her individual card (which I did pay off). I know I can deduct the alimony, but can I deduct her half of the jointly held cards, and the full amount of her card.

3/21/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

A payment is alimony only if all the following requirements are met:

• The spouses don't file a joint return with each other;
  • The payment is in cash (including checks or money orders);
  • The payment is to or for a spouse or a former spouse made under a divorce or separation instrument;
  • The divorce or separation instrument doesn't designate the payment as not alimony;
  • The spouses aren't members of the same household when the payment is made (This requirement applies only if the spouses are legally separated under a decree of divorce or of separate maintenance.);
  • There's no liability to make the payment (in cash or property) after the death of the recipient spouse; and
  • The payment isn't treated as child support or a property settlement.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc452

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent