Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My client resides in WA and took a temporary job assignment…

Customer Question
Good Morning. My client...

Good Morning. My client resides in WA and took a temporary job assignment in NM. He received non-taxed per diem while on the temporary assignment. The temporary assignment was extended at around the one-year mark. At that point the employer started taxing the per-diem. The plan is accountable and he was paid in excess of the Federal per-diem rates. I believe he would not be able to claim the $ he spent on the 2106 due to the indefinite nature of the assignment. Is that correct?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I do not believe so.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Response in next thread.

That is correct, he will not be able to deduct the expenses for an assignment that is considered indefinite. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------------

You can deduct travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home. However, you can't deduct travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment. Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite. Also, you may not deduct travel expenses at a work location if you realistically expect that you'll work there for more than one year, whether or not you actually work there that long. If you realistically expect to work at a temporary location for one year or less, and the expectation changes so that at some point you realistically expect to work there for more than one year, travel expenses become nondeductible when your expectation changes. For an exception to the 1-year rule for federal crime investigations or prosecutions, refer to Publication 463, Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.