Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed my 1017 my electronic tax return expecting a refund…

Customer Question
I filed my 1017...

I filed my 1017 my electronic tax return expecting a refund of $4197, but only received $2697. Why please?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Where may I start.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The first thing that usually applies is an IRS OFFSET. Certain financial debts from your past may affect your current federal tax refund. The law allows the use of part or all of your federal tax refund to pay other federal or state debts that you owe.

If you have unpaid debts, such as overdue child support, state income tax or student loans, FMS may apply part or all of your tax refund to pay that debt. Can you think of any that may apply?
You will receive a notice from FMS if an offset occurs. The notice will include the original tax refund amount and your offset amount. It will also include the agency receiving the offset payment and that agency’s contact information.

If you believe you do not owe the debt or you want to dispute the amount taken from your refund, you should contact the agency that received the offset amount, not the IRS.

Hello, just checking back to see if you responded.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4