Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am single and file head of household. I am in the process…

Hello. I am single...

Hello. I am single and file head of household. I am in the process filing my taxes using the free online H&R Block tax softwareI have a 22 year old daughter with two children who was employed at a very low paying job, but is currently unemployed as of 2 months ago. They all live with me. Their father is not in the picture.I have always paid 100% the household expenses such as utilities, automobile, and my own food.She pays nearly all of her own/children's personal expenses (food, diapers, etc.).She has already filed her taxes as single head of household using the child tax credit and gotten her return .The H&R Block software asked me if I had "a child who is not a dependent living with me", and "whether I paid more than 50% of the household expenses". When I answered 'yes', it told me she was a dependent and asked for her social security number.If I claim this ( her as a dependent) on my taxes, could it cause problems for either or both of us?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That's all I think, thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes it would. A child dependent can not have dependents and be a dependent for you as well. Your return would reject based on her filing already and claiming Head of Household herself.

Thankyou

You are most welcome

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4