Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am single and file head of household. I am in the process…

Hello. I am single...

Hello. I am single and file head of household. I am in the process filing my taxes using the free online H&R Block tax softwareI have a 22 year old daughter with two children who was employed at a very low paying job, but is currently unemployed as of 2 months ago. They all live with me. Their father is not in the picture.I have always paid 100% the household expenses such as utilities, automobile, and my own food.She pays nearly all of her own/children's personal expenses (food, diapers, etc.).She has already filed her taxes as single head of household using the child tax credit and gotten her return .The H&R Block software asked me if I had "a child who is not a dependent living with me", and "whether I paid more than 50% of the household expenses". When I answered 'yes', it told me she was a dependent and asked for her social security number.If I claim this ( her as a dependent) on my taxes, could it cause problems for either or both of us?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

That's all I think, thank you.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes it would. A child dependent can not have dependents and be a dependent for you as well. Your return would reject based on her filing already and claiming Head of Household herself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thankyou

You are most welcome

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4