Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in Michigan and receive a pension there. My late

I live in Michigan...

I live in Michigan and receive a pension there. My late parents' family trust owns mineral rights in Utah. The trust receives approximately $6000 a year in royalties and pays Utah taxes (although we didn't get enough this year to owe any, so we didn't pay this year). My question is: Do I and my siblings need to file Utah taxes on our portion of the royalties we each receive? Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I know of.

3/21/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Income that a nonresident receives from Utah sources is taxable in Utah. A nonresident with any Utah sources of income must file a Utah return if they are required to file a federal return.

Exception: if you are a nonresident and your only source of Utah income is from a K-1 you received from a partnership, LLC, S-corporation, or trust with Utah income, you may not be required to file a Utah return.

Utah nonresidents whose only source of Utah income was from being a member of a pass-through entity (entities taxed as partnerships, S corporations, or trusts), are not required to file a Utah return if the pass-through entity withheld Utah taxes on the income. They may file if they would be due a refund of all or part of the taxes withheld. If taxes have not been withheld on the Utah sourced income passed through to you, you must file a Utah return.

My point of reference is

https://incometax.utah.gov/instructions/nonresidents

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent