Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Ownership and use test for selling home. Have two homes both…

Ownership and use test...

Ownership and use test for selling home

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Have two homes both owned for over 5-years and use equally as principle residence. Will sale of one home be eligible for $500,000 exclusion

3/21/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

That depends. You really need to define which is your true main home.

Although the amount of time that you spend in your home is a good indicator of whether it is your personal residence, it is not the sole point.

Other factors can include such items as: your place of employment; where your family lives; addresses on correspondence and tax returns; where you maintain your banking relationships. Where you vote, the address on your driver’s license and the property on which you claim a property tax exemption also might help resolve the personal residence question.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Did that clarify your situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4