Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Will my spouse be responsible for my tax liability if I file…

Customer Question
Will my spouse be responsible...
Will my spouse be responsible for my tax liability if I file married but separate filing??
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you have a tax liability from before your marriage, you have the choice of filing jointly or filing separately. If you file jointly, your spouse will need to include Form 8379 with your tax return. This will allow your spouse to receive his/her portion of the refund and your portion will be used to pay your outstanding tax liability.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8379.pdf

If you are referring to a tax liability for the current year, your spouse will not be responsible for your tax liability if you file separately.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent