Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm confused about whether my Social Security for 2016 is…

Customer Question
I'm confused about whether...

I'm confused about whether my Social Security for 2016 is taxable or not (yes, I'm late filing -- I did submit a late filing in Apr 2017 and paid $1000 at that point, but I'm juts filing 2016 as well as 2017 now. Anyway on my SSA 1099 fo 2016 on the back is a section to calculate whether or not my 17531 in benefits is taxable or not, According to my calculations the "E" total is 23965, so I interpret the instructions to mean that since this amt is not over 25K my benefits are not taxable. Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Yes, I also had pension income of 16805 and about 9K from a trust fund. I also have deductions because I'm over 65 of 4050 and 7900. The way I originally calculated my taxes I included the entire amount of my SS benefit in my income and that way will owe 1184. If I exclude my SS benefit I will of course not owe that ant. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and have to pay later than pay now. Sorry if this is a bit complicated. Perhaps too much to ask of your service?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 4 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I will verify your determination - just need confirmation...

For 2016 tax year - you had

- 17531 in social security benefits

- 16805 pension from 1099R box 2a

- 9000 taxable distribution from the trust K1 - which box?

Please verify