Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I live in Oregon, but I'm going to California to work on a…

Hi, I live in...

Hi, I live in Oregon, but I'm going to California to work on a very high paying contract job, by w2. What state should I list on my tax forms?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That's all I've got

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I am afraid about getting taxed twice at the state level. How do I avoid that?

3/21/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

California allows you to claim a state tax credit for taxes that you pay in Oregon. So, you'll file a California non-resident tax return and attach Schedule S and your Oregon tax return to the California return. That will make sure you do not get taxed twice on the income.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

This work is for APPLE and I need to fill out a W-4. What state do I use?
I’ll be paid on a W2

You should use Oregon. You may have some tax due in California if your California income gets taxed at a higher bracket than in Oregon, but the majority of it will be in Oregon.

Thank you!

No problem. If you need anything else just let me know. If not, please leave a rating so I get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Carter McBride