Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am currently renting an apartment in NYC and intend to buy…

I am currently renting an...
I am currently renting an apartment in NYC and intend to buy a condo in Israel. The interest on the mortgage, is it tax deductible on my 1040 return
thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Are you a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder?

If you are, you can deduct the Mortgage interest. If not, you cannot.

-------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

i am a usa citizen

Yes, you can deduct the mortgage interest. SEE BELOW:

----------------------------

The benefits property owners get from U.S. tax law depend on how the property is used. If you live in the home, for example, you generally can deduct mortgage interest and property taxes. If the property is used for rental income, you can still deduct mortgage interest and property taxes, plus deducting a number of other expenses, including property and liability insurance, repair and maintenance costs, and local and long distance travel expenses related to maintaining the property.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/022415/do-you-get-us-tax-deductions-real-estate-abroad.asp

You can refer to IRS Pub 936 for more information.

Link to Pub 936:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

I am leaving the computer for a few hours, if you require further assistance, I can assist when I return to the computer.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant