Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just sold a house that I owned for 1 yr for 420,000.00.

Customer Question
I just sold a...

I just sold a house that I owned for 1 yr for 420,000.00. What kind of taxes will I have to pay next year for capital gain

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

This house was paid for and owned for 1 year I just sold it for 420.000.00/ This was not my homestead, but instead of renting it I decided to sell. What kind of tax on gains am I looking at?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I do own 3 other properties, Im 67 fully retired at 62 and live off from my retirement whisch is 729.00 a month and the income of one of the properties

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 3 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

-----------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested in an offer, simply decline.

Still typing...

Depending upon your income, you are looking to pay either 15 or 20% on the amount of the gain. To properly determine whether or not you have incurred a gain, or how much of a gain you have incurred, you start with the cost basis (cost + improvements). If you sold the property for more than the cost basis, you have incurred a gain. If you sold the property for less than the cost basis, you have incurred a loss. Whether you incur a gain or a loss, the sale still has to be reported on the Schedule D and the Form 8949.

Still writing...

If you have incurred a gain, you will only pay tax on the gain amount, not the entire amount of the proceeds. For more detailed information relating to capital gains, refer to the following IRS link.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc409

---------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.