Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I change a prior's year tax asset total cost given…

Customer Question
How do I change a...
How do I change a prior's year tax asset total cost given that a portion of that asset was returned in 2017causing a reduction in the overall cost of a 2016 assets and a negative line item on the 2016 balance sheet?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 3 days by:
3/24/2018
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer and can assist.

I assume your business purchased assets in 2016, then returned some in 2017. Can you confirm that first, then I will assist with the tax reporting.

I confirmed this, how can I get rid of the portion o fthe asset?
You could treat this as a sale, which would pick up the recapture gain in the return. This would also clean up the balance sheet and current year depreciation.Treat it as a sale on 4797. There should be a tax gain to the extent of depreciation recapture.Please review and advise. Positive feedback is appreciated if this covers your questions. Ask if you need more help. I'mCustomer