Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I mailed the tax return.I found something wrong and efiled…

I mailed the tax...

I mailed the tax return.I found something wrong and efiled it.what happens now?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I mailed the tax return first.I corrected some mistakes and efiled.What should I do now?

3/20/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

When did you mail the return to the IRS?

When did you efile it?

Paper one 3 weeks ago.efile 1 week ago.
Hello
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Was your e-file accepted?

Or rejected?
did you get confirmation?

Efile accepted

So that means - your paper return will be rejected - and you will receive a letter about that later - that could take 6-8 weeks after it was mailed.

Looks as the processing for your paper return was delayed - and that was good for your situation.

If the tax return you e-filed is correct - you would not need to worry.

Retain a copy of the return that you e-filed.

You mean I do not have to worry.

Yes - your e-filed that return was accepted - I think that is correct return - and that is the one you want to be accepted.

So you did all correctly.

You have confirmation that it was accepted.

So far that part is done.

Your paper return will be rejected because the IRS will not accept another return after it was already accepted - and you will receive a letter about that later.

But so far - you are good.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Thanks.