Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

The question is about a Self-Directed IRA that invests in an…

The question is about a...
The question is about a Self-Directed IRA that invests in an LLC. Is the cost of forming the LLC deductible in a tax filing, and if yes, where do I do the deduction?
3/20/2018
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

the cost of forming the LLC should be paid from IRA funds .

The IRA beneficiary may not pay that cost directly - and correspondingly - may not deduct such cost.

If the cost of forming the LLC is paid with personal funds - that will a prohibited transaction.

Please verify.

The IRA will pay the cost of forming the LLC.
The IRA will pay the cost of forming the LLC. Is the cost deductible anywhere as an expense?

When paid with IRA funds - that is not deductible expense, but that will reduce future IRA distribution.

Income realized inside IRA is not recognized fro tax purposes - correspondingly expenses are not deducted inside IRA.

Income will be only recognized upon distribution.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Okay, thank you.