Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can an unqualified annuity be given away to a charitable…

Can an unqualified annuity be...
Can an unqualified annuity be given away to a charitable organization?
3/20/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hi Vito,

yes, an unqualified annuity can be donated to a charitable organization.

Non-qualified annuities are funded with after-tax dollars-- but they are still assets.

Please let me know your follow up questions.

Thank you

is there any special way to set it up so that they can be contributed?

The annuity company will have paperwork to re-title the annuity.

To make the gift, they have to give the annuity to the charity, which may only be done by re-titling the annuity or taking a distribution and giving the funds to the charity. I would not recommend the second option.

Is there a requirement that Fed withholding be taken out since its going to be given to charity?

There is not a Fed withholding if you do a title transfer to the charity. You may be able to find the form for the annuity company online to be able to complete the title transfer. The clients may need a medallion guarantee from a bank.

If you distribute the funds, then you should withhold federal and state.

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Thank you so much