Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I withdrew 36000 from my tsp. I have about 45000 in medical…

I withdrew 36000 from...

I withdrew 36000 from my tsp. I have about 45000 in medical bills. Our gross income is 107000. I am 60 years old. About how much tax will we have to pay

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We should itemize and we live in ny

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I can think of

3/20/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

You should itemize due to your medical bill expense.

Does your gross income include the TSP withdraw?

No, it was a 40000 withdrawal with 10% taken out automatically
Have to do it by text
Gross income 107000 plus 40000 tsp minus 4000 plus 45000 medical bills

If your gross income is $107,000 (which includes the $36,000 TSP) and you have not paid any tax through withholding and are married filing jointly with $45,000 of medical bills, your approximate tax liability would be.

$107,000 - $34,300 medical bill itemized deductions = taxable income of $72,700 with a tax liability of $10,070

Which means we would owe 10,070?

Your total earned income is 147,000.

Your medical deduction will also change. ..... to $30,300

Total we owe to Uncle Sam ?

This will bring the amount you owe up to $13,289

This does not include any other deductions or any amount withheld from W2 income.

Ok, anyway to reduce it?
File separate or married make a difference

Married filing separately generally is never the best option.

You most likely have paid a good amount in through W2 withholding's. Also, you may have had some taxes withheld when you withdrew money from the TSP.

You also will have other deductions since you itemized such as real estate tax or mortgage interest for example.

we paid 4000 right off the bat

The amount, I gave you is the top end and if you have no other payments into tax.

You can subtract the $13,289 - $4,000 you paid in =$9289

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Ok thanks for your help. Need another tea party. Lol.

hahah. If this was done in 2018, your tax liability would be lower.