Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Does Social Security from another country need to be taxed…

Does Social Security from...

Does Social Security from another country need to be taxed by the US?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

She is a German citizen but has lived here for over 15 years. She is eligible for both Social security from the US and from Germany. She has a green card. It is not a large amount as she only worked in Germany for 7 years Then moved to the

3/20/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

As a green card holder, she is considered a resident alien for tax purposes and as such, she is subject to US tax on her worldwide income. So her German Social Security would also be taxed in the US.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The SS from Germany is taxed by Germany. Does the US require she be taxed again?

Yes, she is taxed in the US but will get to take a foreign tax credit for the amount of tax paid to Germany.

Hey! Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are through . Thank you

Great! Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride
Carter McBride