Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband died 10 4 17. Do I file seperate or joint. We…

Customer Question
My husband died 10...

My husband died 10 4 17. Do I file seperate or joint

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We always filed jointly. He made most of the money.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I just don’t know how to file. Also I think I need an extension as I an in Oregon and I live in GA. Won’t be home until sometime in June

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Response in next thread.

You can still file a joint return for TY 2017. If you have a dependent child, you can use the Qualifying Widow status for two years. SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------

If your spouse died during the tax year, you can still use Married Filing Jointly as your filing status for that year (as long as you otherwise qualify). For two years after that, you may be eligible for the Qualifying Widow (or Widower) with Dependent Child filing status.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.efile.com/qualifying-widow-widower-tax-filing-status/

You can refer to the following link for more information regarding the Qualifying Widow(er) filing status.

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Next to your husband's name on the Form 1040 write the word (Deceased).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I file for an extension? I tried to call irs for an answer, but only got a robo.

You will need to complete the Form 4868. You can file it by paper or electronically.

Link to Form 4868:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant