Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Son signed up with the ACA Marketplace for 2017,expecting to…

Son signed up with...

Son signed up with the ACA Marketplace for 2017,expecting to work. Did not work. I guess he needs to file his return. When I do it. he owes all the credit back when I check that he can be claimed as a dependent. i did not claim him. does this make a difference in how i answer whether or not he can be claimed as a dependent. technically he is a qualified relative

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My taxable income was $39,000. agi. 52,500. retired.

3/20/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

----------------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline.

Still typing...

In brief, in order top qualify for the credit, you cannot be claimed as a dependent. SEE BELOW:

You are eligible for the premium tax credit if you meet all of the following requirements. You:

• Have household income that falls within a certain range.
  • Do not file a tax return using the filing status of Married Filing Separately
    • There is an exception to this rule that allows certain victims of domestic abuse and spousal abandonment to claim the credit using Married Filing Separately; for more information, see the Premium Tax Credit questions and answers.
  • Cannot be claimed as a dependent by another person.
  • Meet these additional requirements: In the same month, you or a family member:
    • Have health insurance coverage through a Health Insurance Marketplace.
    • Are not able to get affordable coverage through an eligible employer-sponsored plan that provides minimum value.
    • Are not eligible for coverage through a government program, like Medicaid, Medicare, CHIP or TRICARE.
    • Pay the share of premiums not covered by advance credit payments.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/individuals-and-families/the-premium-tax-credit-the-basics-0

----------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

there's no way to put him on my return. that is he has to file his own return. what if he tells them he is a dependent.
and has no income but his parent has income around $55,-60,000.

Providing that he meets the qualifications to be claimed as a dependent, you can claim him, however, he will not qualify for the PTC. If he files a return and indicates that he is a dependent, he will not qualify for the credit.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant