Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about my daughter’s tax return. She has…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about my daughter’s tax return. She has lived and worked in Taiwan for the last 3 Year’s and has not filed us taxes. Apparently if she files her taxes, she would be eligible for back interest on her student loans so she wants to file but she does not make over the $10,000 minimum to file. Does she need to file anyway to collect the interest on her student loans?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 5 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

As a US citizen, your daughter is required to report and pay tax, if any, on her WORLDWIDE income.

Does she receive a W-2 or is she an independent contractor?

If she does not receive a W-2, she should file a tax return to report her self-employment income. While she can exclude that income from income tax, she is required to pay self-employment (Social Security and Medicare) tax on the income.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb