Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have been given conflicting information from three

Customer Question
I have been given...

I have been given conflicting information from three different tax people... So I'm going to try to be very specific so as to ensure I'm giving all relevant info.... I live with my 2 sons, ages 19 and 21. We are the only ones in the home. The boys are no longer in school, make over 4050 per year, and therefore have to claim themselves, so I can not claim them as dependents. I'm very clear on that. However, I still completely support them - I pay all the bills and rent and food. They use their money for their cars, gym memberships, etc. My understanding was that, even though I can not claim them as dependents, I could still file as head of household because I support them in my home. Now someone is telling me that I can NOT file as head of household if I don't have dependents I can claim. Please clarify??? TIA.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No... I just need that clarification please

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In order to use the Head of Household filing status, you must claim dependents.

If you have no dependents to claim, you cannot be Head of Household for tax purposes.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb