Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just paid off the taxes and penalties from an audit. Can I…

I just paid off the...
I just paid off the taxes and penalties from an audit. Can I deduct any of that on my taxes?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

I’m reading your question now.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response.

….

Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

Please don't shoot the messenger here, but federal taxes, penalties and interest paid for a prior year are not deductible.
...
State taxes paid for a prior year are deductible on your Federal return in the year paid, but only the taxes. Penalties and interest are not deductible.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work.

...

I hope you’ll rate me based on accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news / bad news content

But again, let me know if you need more here,

Lane

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS