Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was told that if I am only getting SS that I did not have…

Customer Question
I was told that...

I was told that if I am only getting SS that I did not have to file. Is that correct?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Well, I only recieved 1970 per mth in 2016 and made no extra money

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

At the end of 2017 I sold my house for 32,000.00 and used the funds to improve my new wifes house. Do owe tax on that house

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you have NO OTHER INCOME besides Social Security, you are not required to file a tax return.

As to the sale of your house, if you owned and lived in your house for 2 of the 5 years immediately preceding the sale, you are entitled to the sale of home exclusion (up to $250,000 if you file single/$500,000 if you file married filing jointly).

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb