Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I use as an itemize deduction the property for 2017 paid…

Can I use as...

Can I use as an itemize deduction the property for 2017 paid after January 1, 2018

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I paid my 2017 property tax in January,2018. Can I use it as part of my itemized deductions?

3/20/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Property taxes are claimed in the year they are actually paid even if assessed the previous year. You would report taxes paid in 2018 on your 2018 return and not the 2017.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4