Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about IRS deduction. I am divorced and my…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about IRS deduction. I am divorced and my ex-wife gets half of my retirement pay per the divorce decree. She is paid directly by DFAS. Am I allowed to deduct the portion paid to my ex-wife as alimony for tax purposes?

Accountant's Assistant: Are you overseas or stateside?

Staeside staeside

Accountant's Assistant: Have you talked to anyone in the chain of command about this?

No. i'm retired

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

She is paid directly by DFAS

This shows that the amount your ex-spouse receives is not included in your income. You cannot deduct this from your income because it is not every in your income.

To summarize: No you cannot deduct it.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited. Thank you in advance

Did that clarify?

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4