Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just accepted a proposal from a Canadian and have no

Customer Question
I just accepted a...

I just accepted a proposal from a Canadian and have no intention of living in Canadian, but he won't be moving to the US straight away either. Oddly, I just wondered if there were going to be tax complications of marrying and google brought me here.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

My fiance is a naturalized US citizen too. okay

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Marriage will affect your tax filing - but it is hard to tell whether your tax liability will or will not be affected.

Specifically - you will not be able to use Single as a filing status.

Your martial status for tax purposes will be determined on Dec 31 - if you will be married on that day - for tax purposes - you will be considered as married for the entire year.

You will have a choose - either to file a separate tax return from your spouse - using filing status MFS - married filing separately, OR

file a joint US tax return.

If you choose to file jointly - you both will report all your worldwide income on your joint US tax return.

Either way could provide some advantages or disadvantages depending on your circumstances.

Questions?

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.