Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I own a home and received my 1098 in February.I completed my…

Customer Question
I own a home...

I own a home and received my 1098 in February.I completed my taxes myself. I received an email from my lender that they were sending a new 1098 that included the Mortgage insurance premiums that were added to the 1st 1098. I have already sent in my taxes and received a refund. What happens now?\

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

The accountant?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Those are added to your Mortgage interest on the Schedule A so you can prepare a 1040X to see if the new amount on the 1098 is enough to get you back ore of a refund. You are not required to claim that deduction but you can.

You would need to file the Schedule A and the 1040X if you want to amend and add that to your return. You cannot e-file an amended return so if you do file the 1040X you will have to mail it.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4