Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I recently moved from New York to Florida and my only income…

Customer Question
I recently moved from...

I recently moved from New York to Florida and my only income is social security do I have to file NYS income tax for 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Do I have to file NYS income tax for 2017 if my only income was social security?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I know live in Florida since November 2017 - previously New York

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance "Social security benefits are exempt from state and local income taxes."

If SSA benefits are your only source of income then you are not required to file a NY state return.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it necessary for me to file a federal income tax return?

Nope, the federal is the same.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 27 days ago

Hi, just checking to see if you responded after I clarified on your last question

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4