Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a client that is a handy man out side his regular…

I have a client...

I have a client that is a handy man out side his regular job. he receives a 1099 from 2 of his customers as he does the lawn care and maintenance for them. In the past, the tax service he has used puts his vehicle mileage on schedule A but shouldn't it go on schedule c where the 1099 income is reported?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not at this time

3/20/2018
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Any expenses that are because of the self employment should ALWAYS be reported on the Schedule C. The Schedule A is only for personal or employee and not business expenses for the self employment.

If you can amend that for the taxpayer (the other years back for 3 years) they may receive a refund.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Thank you