Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I calculate how much of my social security is taxable…

How do I calculate...

How do I calculate how much of my social security is taxable in 2018?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Total income is from several sources and I am married and wifes income makes up about 50% of the total

3/20/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. I am prepping my response, which I will provide to you in the next thread(s).

---------------------------------

Note that telephone call and other solicitations are automatically generated by the site, not the experts. If you are not interested, simply decline the offers.

Still typing...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am waiting for your response

Here's how it works: If you file as an individual and your combined income — by this, Social Security means adjusted gross income and nontaxable interest plus one-half of your Social Security benefits — is below $25,000, your benefits won't be taxed at all. If income is between $25,000 and $34,000, up to 50 percent of your benefits may be subject to tax. For income of more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be considered taxable income.

If you and your spouse file a joint return with a combined income below $32,000, your benefits are out of reach. For income between $32,000 and $44,000, up to 50 percent of benefits may be taxable, and up to 85 percent if combined income is more than $44,000.

------------------------------

How to calculate taxable social security:

Whether or not your benefits are taxable depends on your combined income, which is defined as your adjusted gross income (AGI) plus your nontaxable interest income and one-half of your Social Security benefits.

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
stop the stalling and simply answer the question please

---------------------------------

---------------------------------

By the way, I was not stalling, I was gathering the information to provide you with a clear understanding as to how the calculation works.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are very welcome. Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Thank you for the positive rating. I do appreciate it.

You can see a sample of the calculation on page 7 of IRS Pub 915.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant