Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Someone called me from the IRS saying that there is a

Customer Question
Someone called me from...

Someone called me from the IRS saying that there is a warrant for my arrest. for a debt of 4,786 dollars.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

They say that owe the IRS. /and I don't pay the warrant will go though and they going to arrest me

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

They gave me a number ID. yu want me to send it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - tell me that number.

That call looks VERY suspicions...

IRM9706

The IRS Will Never:

Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. Generally, the IRS will first mail a bill to any taxpayer who owes taxes.

• Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
  • Demand that taxes be paid without giving taxpayers the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
  • Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
  • Call you about an unexpected refund.

See here

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/phone-scams-pose-serious-threat-remain-on-irs-dirty-dozen-list-of-tax-scams

How Do the Scams Work?

Con artists make unsolicited calls claiming to be IRS officials. They demand that the victim pay a bogus tax bill. They convince the victim to send cash, usually through a wire transfer or a prepaid debit card or gift card. They may also leave “urgent” callback requests through phone “robo-calls,” or send a phishing email.

Many phone scams use threats to intimidate and bully a victim into paying. They may even threaten to arrest, deport or revoke the driver’s license of their victim if they don’t get the money.

Scammers often alter caller ID numbers to make it look like the IRS or another agency is calling. The callers use IRS employee titles and fake badge numbers to appear legitimate. They may use the victim’s name, address and other personal information to make the call sound official.

The IRS also reminded taxpayers today that scammers change tactics. Aggressive and threatening phone calls by criminals impersonating IRS agents remain a major threat to taxpayers, but variations of the IRS impersonation scam continue year-round and they tend to peak when scammers find prime opportunities to strike.

.

So far

- do NOT reply or continue to communicate with these "scam artist"

- do NOT ever pay them ANY money

- you may report that incident - to your local police, to your state Attorney General and

file Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) report.

You may call the IRS and confirm that is NOT IRS person - 1_800_829_1040_

That is a scam - please be careful.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues