Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed my original 2016 tax return as Married filing

I filed my original...

I filed my original 2016 tax return as Married filing separately but after my wife arrived in the US from the Philippines and she obtained her SSN we filed an amended return to file as Married filing jointly.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

This year after getting our taxes ready to file, it was rejected when we tried to e file thru turbotax because the AGI did not match what was on file. I understand I needed to correct my AGI to reflect my original return and not the amended return and that's fine for my own AGI but we did not file an original tax return for my wife and all we have to use for her AGI is from the amended return.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

We are curious if we missed something by not filing an original return for her in 2016 prior to her entering the country?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You didn't miss anything.

Try entering zero for your wife's AGI because she did not file a 2016 tax return.

If your 2017 tax return gets rejected again, you will have to mail it to the IRS.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great day!