Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can you deduct travel costs to get medical care in a foreign…

Customer Question
Can you deduct travel costs...
Can you deduct travel costs to get medical care in a foreign country? And is the medical care ?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2018
Tax Professional: Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

You can deduct the lodging if:

However, you cannot deduct more than $50 per night for lodging.

You can include in medical expenses amounts paid for transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care.

These would be deductible as medical costs on Schedule A.

Let me know if you need anything else If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

1. The lodging is primarily for and essential to medical care.

2. The medical care is provided by a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital.

3. The lodging isn't lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.

4. There is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel away from home.

Hey! Just wanted to follow up to see if you needed anything else. If not, please leave a rating so I can get credit for helping you out. Thanks!