emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I have a question regarding tax filing. My wife and I have

Customer Question

Good evening. I have a question regarding tax filing. My wife and I have recently separated. We have twin children that are seniors in high school and will going to College in the fall. We are trying to determine how to file our 2017 taxes which will provide a better chance of our children with FAFAS. Should we file seperately as seperated and she claim 1 child and I file the other child or should we still file married?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I don’t think so.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

In 99% of cases married filing separate result in higher tax liability than married filing jointly. If you file separate you will not be able to claim many credits, including education credit and some of your deductions will be limited as well. You would have to try it both ways to be 100% sure but most likely filing jointly will be more advantageous.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?