Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I made the $6500 IRA contribution this last year to my

I made the $6500...

I made the $6500 IRA contribution this last year to my standard Ira account. I still owe a lot of tax. I am self employed and have a SEP account that I didn’t contribute to in the last year. Can I put money in the SEP as an additional deduction?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Not beyond that.

3/19/2018
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Hello!

My name is***** will assist you today.

Please give me one moment while I review your question and type my initial response

You are able to make SEP account contributions, which will lower your taxable income.

SEP contributions are subtracted from your taxable income using line 28 of the Form 1040.

____

The contributions you make to each employee’s SEP-IRA each year cannot exceed the lesser of:

1. 25% of compensation, or
  2. $55,000 for 2018 ($54,000 for 2017 and subject to annual cost-of-living adjustments for later years).

Deduction Limit for Self-Employed Individuals

If you make contributions for yourself, you need to make a special computation to figure your maximum deduction for these contributions. Compensation is your net earnings from self-employment which takes into account both the following items.

• The deduction for the deductible part of your self-employment tax.

• The deduction for contributions on your behalf to the plan.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or if you have any additional questions.

When you have no further questions a positive rating of 5 stars is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®