Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an adult son who went to drug rehab. I have paid

I have an adult...

I have an adult son who went to drug rehab. I have paid almost 10,000 for this out of pocket. Can I deduct this on my taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My son is 34 and is employed. He had insurance at this time but the deductible was over 6,000. I paid the deductible and the full cost of treatment. Can I deduct this on my taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My son is still an alcoholic and continues to make bad choices, He has a different job so now he has no insurance and I also had to cover his two children with separate insurance as they had no insurance either. the cost is approx 2,000. Is it possible to write this off?

3/19/2018
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. Is your son your dependent?

No

In brief, you cannot claim the deductions for your son or the children. You are only allowed to claim medical deductions for dependents. SEE BELOW:

If you itemize your deductions for a taxable year on Form 1040, Schedule A.pdf, Itemized Deductions, you may be able to deduct expenses you paid that year for medical and dental care for yourself, your spouse, and your dependents. You may deduct only the amount of your total medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. You figure the amount you're allowed to deduct on Form 1040, Schedule A.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

Neither my son nor his children are dependents. I am making payments and providing insurance so the children will be cared for
Please do not charge me for the phone call since we only texted

You will not be charged for the call. I will send a not to customer service.

Please take the time to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Phone call session started