Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I get back a double payment to the IRS. I sent in a…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get back a double payment to the IRS

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I sent in a payment by Direct pay out of my checking account on 2/28/18. It came out of my checking account on Mar 1. I got a notice on Mar 6 dated Mar 2 from the IRS saying they did not get the payment. I then saw the bank and they said I needed to resend it. I did on Mar 12

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I now have 2 payments of the same amount taken out and my bank says I have to get it back from the IRS. Can you help

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The IRS should catch the double payment and issue you a refund. You can also contact the IRS regarding the double payment for more information.

You can call the IRS at 1-***-***-****.

DO NOT SELECT OPTION 1 FOR REFUND BECAUSE THAT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE IRS AUTOMATED RESPONSE.

- Choose Option 2 (Personal income tax)

- Then press 1 (Form, tax history, or payment)

- Press 4 (For all other questions)

- Press 2 (For all other questions)

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything. After is asks twice, you will get another menu

- Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions, it should then connect you to a live IRS representative.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help, will be getting the $$ amount paid twice back. I do not wish to continue at this time with the $46.00/month. Thank you.

Thank you for letting me know.

I will forward this to customer service on your behalf.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent