Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I went to file my taxes by Turbo tax - when I submitted my…

Customer Question
Hello My Name is...

Hello My Name is Ashley, I went to file my taxes by Turbo tax - when I submitted my form they were rejected due to the fact someone has claimed my son on form 2441-Child & Dependent Care. How do I find out who filed with my son SS#.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I spoke with my sons father and he said it was not him

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2018
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 month ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

When this happens you must mail your return. Claim your son and do not change anything on your own return. The IRS will send a letter to the person that claimed your son and request proof from them that they had the legal right. As they have no legal right the IRS will remove your son from their return.

You will receive a letter as well but you can send the copies they will request (birth certificate and proof your son lived with you ) so the IRS will process your return.

The IRS will not tell you who the other person is.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I not submit the childcare form 2441?

No, leave it with your return. Do not remove any amount you are claiming for your child. If you delete the 2441 you will not receive your credit.

Mail your return intact.

Did that clarify?

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4