Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Turbo Tax asked me if I was Active duty retired military for…

Customer Question
Turbo Tax asked me...

Turbo Tax asked me if I was Active duty retired military for my Maryland. I am a retired reserve, so I said no. The Maryland tax people, both on the phone and in their tax instructions on the computer for Maryland Tax form 502SU say retired reservists are eligible. Why is TT giving false info and will they correct my previous tax forms?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Yes, this affects thousands of retired reservists.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
3/19/2018
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 4 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

This is not a mistake on TurboTax's part if the 1099-R information screens are answered correctly.

See the following:

Maryland will exclude:

Up to $5,000 of military retirement income received by a qualifying individual during the tax year if the taxpayer has not yet attained the age of 65; or up to $10,000 of military retirement income received by a qualifying individual if the taxpayer is age 65 or over.

After the 1099-R entry screen (in the federal portion of your tax return):

1. On the Where is this Distribution From screen, click on Military Pension or Active duty military retirement [depending on the version of TurboTax you have)].
  2. Enter the distribution amount (if it's not already there) and click Continue.
  3. On the screen Was This Distribution from a Qualified Plan, mark the blue Non-Qualified Plan box.

TurboTax will then calculate the exclusion on your MD return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

TT asked me only if I was retired Active Duty! Not retired reservist!

I understand, but that is how the TurboTax program is configured so you can claim the exclusion on your MD state return.